MoviezWorldwide
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Criticism towards Wikia

4 posters

Go down

Criticism towards Wikia Empty Criticism towards Wikia

Post by DarkShadow99 Fri Aug 26, 2016 10:37 am

I think it would be great if we had a thread about criticism towards Wikia on this forums. As you may know last year in December there was an open message by some German Wikians who expressed dissatification with Wikia. Also there is an Anti-Wikia-Alliance in which several larger wikis are involved.
DarkShadow99
DarkShadow99

Back to top Go down

Criticism towards Wikia Empty Re: Criticism towards Wikia

Post by Moonlight12997 Fri Aug 26, 2016 12:20 pm

It is often critisized that innocent users get globalled and also that Wikia doesn't give satisfactory answers to the questions of the users. Also it is critisized that Wikia unfairly profits from its close ties to Wikipedia and also buys out independent wikis and as well steps in too fast. My sister and her class mates totally hate Wikia.
Moonlight12997
Moonlight12997

Back to top Go down

Post by DarkShadow99 Sat Oct 01, 2016 10:19 pm

Wikia currently make themselves very unpopular with the renaming to Fandom. Also Wikia's Alexa rank has dropped from #93 to #102 during the last six months from what I saw on Wikipedia.
DarkShadow99
DarkShadow99

Back to top Go down

Post by Moonlight12997 Mon Oct 03, 2016 11:16 am

Yeah Wikia really make themselves unpopular right now. The Anti Wikia Alliance also posted about this on their wiki. Also they posted about the recent forking of Wikizilla.
Moonlight12997
Moonlight12997

Back to top Go down

Post by sebastienxu467 Sun Oct 15, 2017 3:41 am

I just got globalled on wikia because I had a different opinion to the Fandom staff. I got into an intense argument with them about whether some people on Riordan Wiki were sockpuppets. Somebody then hacked my account and before I could tell them, my account was blocked. I then created a second account to ask why I was blocked and they though I was evading the block and blocked my second for sockpuppetry when the truth was that I only wanted to ask why I was blocked. The TOU violation clearly states that you can do that. So I was blocked, but the hacker of my account wasn't.
sebastienxu467
sebastienxu467

Back to top Go down

Post by DarkShadow99 Sun Oct 15, 2017 6:28 am

Yeah Wikia has a long history of questionable actions. Recently the Spanish Pokemon Wiki has forked due to their behaviour and the German Memory Alpha is also going to fork: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] , [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
DarkShadow99
DarkShadow99

Back to top Go down

Post by Leviathan7402 Sun Feb 04, 2018 2:03 pm

I also hate Wikia, however unfortunately they are by far the most powerful company who hosts wikis. So it might be the best to arrange us with them until they get bankrupt or - even better - get bombed-out by militant Wikia haters.

Leviathan7402

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum